Terms of Reference
The UGC, empowered by Section 4(2) of the Universities Act No. 16 of 1978, as and when required appoints Standing Committees for specific purposes, consisting of such members and with such powers, duties and functions as may be determined by the Commission. The Chairman of each Standing Committee shall be a member of the Commission.
The main role of the Standing Committee on Medical and Dental Sciences would be to function as the advisory body to UGC and vigorously pursue/promote Medical, Dental and Allied Health Sciences p rogrammes according to universities.
In this regard the following specific activities will be pursued:
- Initiate actions on policy directions issued by the UGC from time to time and take steps to implement prescribed initiatives, programmes and activities at university/campus/institute level.
- Evaluate proposals submitted by universities/Institutes with respect to curricular reforms and curriculum for new study programmes and submit recommendations to the Commission.
- Evaluate proposals submitted by Universities/Institutes for the establishment of new Departments/Faculties/Institutes and submit recommendations to the Commission.
- Frame guidelines for planning of new undergraduate degree programmes, namely, a) ways and means of evaluating need and demand, b) graduate profile, c) structure of the study programme, d) courses and intended learning outcomes and planning for course modules, e) evaluation procedures and f) credit qualification framework for Medical, Dental and Allied Health Sciences Degree related study programmes.
- Function as a catalytic unit to promote new initiatives and reforms to improve and advance quality and relevance of Medical, Dental and Allied Health Sciences Degree related study programmes and convey to the Commission for consideration.
|Chairman||Prof. Malkanthi Chandrasekera||Commission Member||University Grants Commission|
|Secretary||Mrs. Janadari Wijesinghe||Senior Assistant Secretary/Academic Affairs||University Grants Commission|
|Prof. Rohan Jayasekara||Dean/Faculty of Medicine|
|Prof. DS Samarasinghe||Dept. of Psychological Medicine||University of Colombo|
|Prof. MD Lamawansa||Dean/Faculty of Medicine||University of Peradeniya|
|Prof. Upul B Dissanayake||Dean/Faculty of Dental Sciences||University of Peradeniya|
|Dr. DBM Wickramaratne||Dean/Faculty of Allied Sciences||University of Peradeniya|
|Prof. Surangi Yasawaththa||Actg. Dean/Faculty of Medical Sciences||University of Sri Jayewardenepura|
|Prof. Nilanthi de Silva||UGC Nominee (Faculty of Medicine/Kelaniya)||University of Kelaniya|
|Dr. S Balakumar||Dean/Faculty of Medicine||University of jaffna|
|Prof. Sarath Lekamwasam||Dean/Faculty of Medicine||University of Ruhuna|
|Dr. KT Sundareson||Dean/Health – Care Sciences||Eastern University, Sri Lanka|
|Prof. SH Siribaddana||Actg. Dean/Medicine & Allied Sciences||Rajarata University of Sri Lanka|
|Prof. Janaka de Silva||Director||PGIM|
|Dr. Sunil De Alwis||Deputy Director General (Education, Training & Research)||Ministry of Healthcare & Nutrition|
|Prof. MHJ Ariyaratne||Actg. Dean/Faculty of Medicine||General Sir John Kotalawala Defense University|
|Prof. Shanthi Gunawardena||Dean/Faculty of Medicine||SAITM|
|Colonel (Dr.) PTR Makuloluwa||Dean/Faculty of Allied Health Sciences||General Sir John Kotalawala Defense University|