28th May 2003.
Vice-Chancellors of Universities,
Rectors of Campuses,
Directors of Institutes.
Admission of Students into Internal Degree Programmes From External Degree Programmes
As part of the National Policy in increasing Graduate Output from the Universities, the Commission at its 628th meeting held on 20th February 2003 decided that students who reach satisfactory standards at the GAQ/GSQ or any other equivalent Examination can be considered for Lateral Entry into the Internal Degree Programme at Second Year and above.
The Commission further decided that the University Councils, according to General Guidelines set by the Commission can do all such Admissions. The following are a preliminary set of Guidelines.
- After the release of the First Year/Later Year results of the External Degree of a University, applications should be called by the respective Higher Educational Institutions by Press Advertisement for Admission into various Internal Programmes.
- Such advertisement should specify, the courses available and the number of students that could be admitted to each such course.
- The minimum qualifications required to enter the Second Year/Other Years, should be the same as the qualifications required for an Internal Student to move into the Next Year of the Degree Programme.
- Admissions should be made strictly in Order of Merit among those applying for each Programmes advertised, according to the number of places available in the Programme.
- These Admissions should be handled by the admissions Committee of each University with the participation of the Deans of Faculties and should be approved by the Senate and the Council.
- Any student so admitted shall have the full standing of an Internal Student and all Rules and Regulations will apply to this student as well.
- Any student so admitted shall have the right to apply for Admission to Special Degree courses under the same conditions applicable to other students in the Batch.
- Each University shall submit to the University Grants Commission, lists of students admitted from the External Degree.
- This Circular shall come into effect from 1st June 2003.
(Prof. B.R.R.N Mendis- Chairman)
- Members of the UGC
- Deans of Faculties
- Registrars of Universites
- Financial Controller/UGC
- Bursars of Universities
- Librarians/SAL/AL of the Higher Educational Institutions/Institutes;
- Snr. Asst.Registrars/Asst.Registrars of HEIs Campuses
- Snr. sst.Bursars/Asst.Bursars of HEIs/Campuses
- Chief Internal Auditor/UGC
- Govt. Audit Superintendents of Universities
- Snr. Asst.Int. Auditors/Asst.Int.Auditors of HEIs
- Secretaries of Trade Unions
File No. UGC/AD/01