13th November 2009
Vice Chancellors of Universities
Rectors of Campuses
Directors of Institutes
Foreign Travels through Public Funds
Further to the letter No. UGC/C/PS/07 of 03.04.2009 on the above matter.
The Commission at its 781st meeting held on 04.06.2009 considered the above matter and decided to allow Higher Educational Institutions/ Institutes to recommend only the most essential applications with adequate justifications for travels abroad through public funds in respect of the following categories.
1. Air passage for the following:
(a.) Lecturers (Probationary) and Senior Lecturers to proceed abroad to read for Masters Degree and Ph.D if it is a requirement for their confirmation and next promotion;
(b.) Sabbatical leave under the approved conditions according to circulars in force;
(c.) Training programmes offered through ERD and UGC approved agreements and MOUs ; and
(d.) Attending international conferences which are beneficial and useful for both the country and the individual concerned.
2. Incidental allowance ie. US$ 25 per day as per the provisions of prevailing Treasury Circulars.
3. Warm cloth allowance, where applicable.
Higher Educational Institutions/ Institutes are requested to take a note of the above decision and make arrangements for foreign travels through public funds with utmost care in order to minimize the utilization of such funds due to financial constraints faced by the Government.
(Prof. Gamini Samaranayake)
- Chairman’s Office/UGC
- Members of the UGC
- Deans of Faculties
- Registrars of Universities
- Financial Controller/UGC
- Bursars of Universities
- Librarians/ SAL/AL of the Higher Educational Institutions/ Institutes
- Deputy Registrars/ Snr.Asst.Registrars/ Asst.Registrars of Campuses/ Institutes
- Deputy Bursars/Snr.Asst.Bursars/Asst.Bursars of Campuses/Institutes
- Chief Internal Auditor/UGC
- Govt.Audit Superintendents of Universities
- Snr.Asst.Int.Auditors/ Asst.Int.Auditors of HEIs
- Secretaries of Trade Unions
- Auditor –General
File No: UGC/HR/6/2/7